Week 7 Story: The Lake

This image represents the lake that the brothers stumbled across. Image

On one hot summer day  some brothers were out and about in the forest. The boys rummage around this forest all the time but they seemed to be somewhat lost. They had also been out there for hours and were beginning to become very hot and thirsty. 

After walking a couple more miles, trying to find there way out, they came across a lake they had never seen before. The boys instantly became overjoyed because they were all so thirsty. Nick was the boy to spot the lake first but as he spotted the lake he heard voices asking him questions. Nick refused to acknowledge the voices and drank from the lake anyways. Three out of the four other brothers followed along in Nick’s footsteps. But, Zack heard the voices and refused to drink before answering the questions he was asked. 

All of the boys expect Zack began to get very sick. The boys just knew that it was from the lake water but Zack was not sick. 

“You stupid boys should have listened to me and answered my questions,” said the voice. 

The boys began pleading for forgiveness but the voice had no mercy and the boys got even sicker. They all started  to think as if they were dying. But then, Zack began to plead to the voice for forgiveness. 

“Since you listened to me and answered all of my questions properly I will show your brothers some mercy,” said the voice. 

After that the boys began feeling better and were all ready to go home. There was only one problem though, they were lost. 

The voice murmered, “ Jump into the lake.”

The boys decided to listen to the voice this time and do as it said. It paid off too because the woke up at home in their beds feeling so much better. They brothers also vowed to never go into a forest adventure again and to listen to what people told them. 


Author’s Note: My story was based off of The voice in the lake. While they are living in the woodland, the Pandavas are drawn nearer by a brahmin who is urgent in light of the fact that a baffling monster deer has taken his staff and the fuel he uses to make the conciliatory fire. The Pandavas pursue the deer yet can't get it. Worn out and parched, they search for water. Nakula finds a lake, yet a voice reveals to him that, prior to drinking, he should address a few inquiries. Nakula overlooks the voice, beverages, and bites the dust. In a steady progression, Sahadeva, Arjuna and Bhima meet a similar destiny. Yudhishthira comes and discovers his siblings all dead. He also hears the voice, and he responds to the inquiries. This was a test by his dad, Yama, the divine force of death and of Dharma. The siblings return to life, and they get the endowment of unrecognizability for their thirteenth year of outcast.

In my story I wanted to keep the same concepts of the original story without out being tragic. I also wanted the brothers in my story to learn a lesson. In my story they were taught to listen to what they are told and good things will and come and vice versa. This story is an example of good Karma. 

Bibliography: The Mahabharata: A Shortened Modern Prose Version of the Indian Epic, R. K. Narayan, Story

 

Comments

  1. I really enjoyed your version of the riddles at the lake story. I liked how you changed the story so the lake decided to help the boys get home at the end of the story even though the lake seemed upset at the boys for not listening to it. It makes the lake seem like it is not so bad. I do think that it is funny that the boys listened to the lake by jumping into it even after it had made them sick though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love how you made this story your own! Your story was super cute and I enjoyed reading it. I don't know if this is a technical difficulty or if your blog is unable to load photographs, but for some reason your lake picture is not showing up on the page! I think if you were able to remedy that, there would be a larger element of the audience being able to envision the scene a bit more. I don't know if it was left out on purpose or not, but if not I wanted to bring it to your attention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey (again) Kenzie! I really appreciate your desire to retell some of the stories with a happier ending - an awful lot of the Mahabharata gets very dark in tone. I'm not sure if it was intentional, having the boys jump in the lake right after it made them sick, but it definitely made me chuckle. Reminds me of some stories about tricksters, but it was still nice to see them returned home safely. The image you chose doesn't seem to want to load, by the way, though the source link works just fine. Great work, anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kenzie! I really enjoyed your story. It was clear what you had based it off on, but I liked how you turned it into sort of a more modern feel. One thing I thought might need clarification was why the boys were out in the forest? Were they, like the Pandavas, on a quest? Or were they just out having fun? Regardless, I think you did a great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts